NCAC is currently seeking an associate to work for its Youth Free Expression Program (YFEP). The Program Associate will be primarily responsible for coordinating activities of the Kids’ Right to Read Project (KRRP), which resists censorship of books in public schools and libraries. The Associate is also responsible for responding to censorship of student artwork, political activities, press, and theater as well as government efforts to censor entertainment and social media use as pertaining to minors.
The ideal candidate will have experience with advocacy and an interest in free speech, literature, education, and cultural trends affecting young people.
The Program Associate will begin work on or around May 1, with some flexibility if necessary.
o Identify and respond to challenges to books, theater, access to social media, etc. in public schools and libraries, including research, advocacy, community engagement;
o Assist in responding other censorship cases when necessary;
o Collaborate with partner organizations to maximize the impact of NCAC activities;
o Implement campaigns to mobilize local constituencies in opposition to censorship;
o Coordinate, promote, and review submissions toNCAC’s annual youth free expression film contest;
o Provide research and support for various programmatic activities, especially those related to youth.
o Contribute regularly to NCAC’s blog on issues relating to youth free expression and access.
o Create and update online resources as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred
• Excellent skills in writing, editing, research, and verbal communication
• Highly organized and able to set priorities and meet deadlines
• Demonstrated interest in advocacy (preferably related to free expression or youth)
• Self-motivated and able to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced office environment with a small staff
• Flexibility and willingness to take on new tasks and ability to manage multiple responsibilities
• Understanding of and experience with social media and online advocacy
• Knowledge of basic First Amendment law preferred
• Computer fluency, including Microsoft Office, Adobe and Google apps; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign and basic Photoshop a plus.
This position requires occasional travel and some evening and weekend commitments. Salary range is $40 – 50K commensurate with experience. Good benefits. NCAC is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Program Associate” in subject line. Only candidates invited for an initial interview will be contacted. No phone inquiries please.