The National Coalition Against Censorship (NCAC) is an alliance of more than 50 non-profit organizations dedicated to promoting and protecting freedom of thought, inquiry and expression in the United States. NCAC assists students, teachers, artists, writers, librarians, and others involved in censorship disputes, advocates for speech-friendly policies, mobilizes coalition partners, and provides information and resources on censorship issues to policymakers, scholars, and the media.
NCAC seeks a Communications Manager to develop and implement a communications plan to increase awareness of NCAC. Duties include content development, public relations communications, and membership acquisition. Qualified candidates will have 3-5 years experience, excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong project management background, familiarity with web-based software, and the ability to work well within a team.
- Develop and implement effective publicity strategies and marketing campaigns. Write press releases, pitch letters and promotional materials.
- Manage website content through WordPress, including but not limited to concise descriptions of case interventions, timely blog posts, visual display, and site functionality.
- Monitor, track, circulate, and analyze relevant media coverage.
- Pitch and arrange interviews, events, and other PR initiatives that attract media attention.
- Draft, develop, and execute bi-weekly E-newsletter.
- Lead and coordinate social media strategy and posts, primarily on Facebook and Twitter
- Collaborate with external partners to leverage and develop marketing campaigns and identify new opportunities.
- Monitor and report on site analytics including Website performance, email performance, and social media performance.
- Manage SEO/SEM activities not limited to link-building, internal link strategy, conducting PPC campaigns, optimizing content.
- Minimum 3 years of professional communications experience
- Understanding and experience with traditional and digital media, responding to media inquiries, and developing and pitching media/press materials
- Excellent project management, analytical, and creative writing skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly in dealing with the media in a polished, professional manner
- Established contacts and relationships across relevant media channels preferred
- Ability to take initiative on assigned projects/tasks and work with minimal supervision
- Strong interest in and/or experience with free expression or related issues
NCAC offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and generous health and vacation benefits. The National Coalition Against Censorship is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Procedure: Submit your resume, cover letter with salary requirement, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference “Communications Manager” in your email subject line. No phone inquiries please.