Youth Free Expression Program Coordinator (full-time)
The National Coalition Against Censorship (NCAC) is an alliance of more than 50 non-profit organizations dedicated to promoting and protecting freedom of thought, inquiry and expression in the United States. NCAC assists students, teachers, artists, writers, librarians, and others involved in censorship disputes, advocates for speech-friendly policies, mobilizes coalition partners, and provides information and resources on censorship issues to policy makers, scholars and the media.Â Â
NCACâ€™s Youth Free Expression Program (YFEP) offers youth the knowledge, tools and opportunities to assert and defend their right to free expression and access to information. YFEPâ€™s central initiative is the Kidsâ€™ Right to Read Project (KRRP), which counters attempts to remove books from libraries and curricula because of opposition to the viewpoints those books express. NCAC seeks a creative and detail-oriented Program Coordinator to coordinate all YFEP operations.Â
YFEP Coordinator Responsibilities
Kids Right to Read Project (KRRP)
- Investigate the facts in incidents of school censorship as reported in the press or to the Kidsâ€™ Right to Read Project;
- Draft advocacy letters to schools, libraries and public officials in defense of youth access to educational materials;
- Assist Communications team with KRRP-related postings on NCAC blog and social media;
- Maintain KRRP case log and database;Â
- Maintain relationships with KRRP partners and other collaborators;
- Proactive outreach to teachers, students and relevant organizations to build organizational trust.
Educating Stakeholders about First Amendment Rights in Schools
- Develop and maintain resources to educate youth, teachers and school administrators on their First Amendment rights and responsibilities, including the right to protest;
- Track trends in threats to youth speech and expression and develop creative response campaigns;
- Proactive outreach to schools and libraries;
- Assist Communications team with YFEP-related postings on NCAC blog and social media.Â
- Develop new national initiative to actively engage students in free expression activism nationwide;
- Recruit and mentor student free speech activists;Â
- Develop partnerships with other organizations with youth constituencies and engage students within those constituencies;
- Assist with restructuring NCACâ€™s Youth Film Contest.
- Assist in YFEP-related grant writing and reporting;
- Recruit and supervise interns.
- Two or more years of experience in organizing, research, program development and/or education.
- Excellent research, analytical and writing skills.
- Demonstrated interest in free speech advocacy. Familiarity with or willingness to learn about First Amendment law as it affects youth and the educational system. Willingness to defend the speech of people with whom you may personally disagree.
- Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively to diverse audiences, including youth and educators.
- MA or other graduate degree preferred.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, able to set priorities, and manage multiple responsibilities.
- Self-motivated willing and able to take initiative and work independently, creatively, and collaboratively in a fast-paced office environment with a small staff.Â
The YFEP Coordinator reports to NCACâ€™s Director of Programs.
This position is full-time with some weekend and after hours commitments and occasional travel.Â The salary range is $55,000-65,000, depending on experience. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings plan, transportation assistance, and paid vacation.
The National Coalition Against Censorship is committed to fostering a diverse and non-discriminatory work environment as both a reflection of our values and as core to our mission. Censorship first silences those with the least access to power and we believe that a diversity of experiences, identities and opinions strengthens our advocacy and our workplace.
NCAC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.Â Â
Please send a cover letter, resume, references, two writing samples, and compensation requirements to email@example.com. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone inquiries please.
The National Coalition Against Censorship welcomes internship and work experience applications from higher education students on a rolling basis. We are sadly unable to provide stipends for interns, however we are happy to work with your school or program on third-party financial arrangements or course credit, as applicable.