On October 21, 2008, NCAC held its Annual Celebration of Free Speech and Its Defenders at the Rubin Museum of Art in New York City. The evening raised necessary funds for NCAC’s ongoing work. The event was chaired by Victoria Wilson, vice president and senior editor at Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.
The honorees were:
- Dr. Ruth Gruber, journalist, photographer, and author
- Anthony Lewis, Pulitzer Prize-winning author
- Caroline Hirsch, founder of Carolines on Broadway
- Barney Rosset, publishing pioneer of Grove Press
- Dan Rather, veteran broadcast journalist
We were especially thrilled that Emmy Award-winning comedian Judy Gold was on hand to introduce Caroline and make us laugh.
NCAC also honored the winners of this year’s youth film contest:
First place: Connie Saltzman and Peter Block
Second place: Shelbi Kepler
Third place: Mercy Emelike, Cameron Robinson, and Corey Steinhouse
Listen to Ruth Gruber, Anthony Lewis, and Barney Rosset discuss censorship – past, present and future on WNYC’s Leonard Lopate Show.