The Florida Education Defenders are a group of organizations working together to fight book censorship in Florida schools.
A small group of parents known as the Florida Citizens Alliance (FLCA) allege that Florida schools are indoctrinating children with liberal bias and “unbalanced” science. They succeeded in writing, lobbying for and pushing through legislation intended to make it easier for likeminded residents to impose their personal beliefs on educational curriculum decisions in public schools.
Backed by the Tea Party and gun merchants, the FLCA has targeted instructional texts that are critical of the Trump administration as “blatantly biased” and alleges Florida schools are brainwashing students to oppose the Second Amendment.
While small, FLCA is spreading misinformation and gaining momentum. Now, FLCA has teamed up with the incorrectly-named group Truth in Textbooks to encourage hundreds of ideologically driven textbook challengers.
Florida Education Defenders offer guidance, support and resources for those who support the rights of Florida students to read, learn and express themselves freely.
We work together to:
- Track book challenges with support from the data aggregation platform InformUs
- Share resources with administrators on book adoption and challenges
- Counsel educators confronting challenges, including guidance for defending science texts
- Mobilize the Florida education community to advocate for policy and legislative reforms
Textbook policies are set at the local level. Learn the existing book challenge guidelines and instructional material selection policies in counties and school districts across Florida.
How You Can Help
Do you believe that young people in Florida should be able to read freely? Do you think decisions about instructional materials should be based on pedagogical factors, not subjective opinion?
Here’s how you can help prevent book censorship in Florida:
- Join our petitions!
- Report book challenges to us!
- Learn your local school district’s textbook policies
- Tweet and follow @ncacensorship to find out the latest news and share it with your community! Remember to include the hashtag #FLEdDefend.
We treat all reports confidentially and will never share your personal information without permission.
The Florida Education Defenders are a partnership of free speech and education organizations that defends against textbook censorship in Florida schools. Together, we pool resources to provide better guidance to Florida educators and parents in responding to controversies over learning materials. To join our alliance, contact email@example.com.